Sunday, November 09, 2008

Philippine's Food Showcase at SAS








The Singapore American School (SAS) just held their annual Foodfest yesterday (Nov 08) and I was actually impressed with the Philippine booth. Not that I love my own country but compared to the other booths that day, it offered a lot of food choices, and the most elaborate booth with the creative "Bahay Kubo" (house made of coco palm leaves) well decorated with Christmas lanterns. The Filipino kids were also generous in entertaining the audience with a couple of Filipino ethnic dance. I feel "at home" once more with the display of "Pancit" (fried noodles), "Adobo" (stewed pork or chicken in vinegar), "Kare-Kare" (Stewed beef oxtail w/ shrimp paste), Pork Barbecue, Turon (banana fritters), "Lumpia" (spring roll), "Leche Flan" (egg custard w/caramel) and not to mention, "Puto" (steamed rice cake with cheese) which we actually donated for the booth.

We had a taste of other cultures too. I love the chickpea masala from the Indian booth. My husband loves the guacamole with chips from the Latin America booth and my son just loves to eat everything :-).

This is our son's first year in SAS (he's enrolled in the Early Childhood program) so I think I have a couple of Food fests to go; I am excited to attend next year already and maybe bring some food again for the Philippine booth.

No comments: