Sunday, March 22, 2009

Easy Hummus Dip

Hummus is a dip that is made from chickpeas. My 3 year-old son's teacher highly recommends this as a healthy snack in school. After doing some quick Google, I now understand why this is so. Hummus is high in iron and vitamin C, and also has significant amounts of folate and vitamin B6. The chickpeas make it a good source of protein and dietary fiber. No wonder, Hummus is one of the oldest foods dating back to ancient Egypt some 7000 years ago.

The thought of making this dip never crossed my mind until I brought home a handy Braun Multiquick food processor (Multiquick MR 600). I am especially proud that I work for a company that makes high quality products like Braun appliances. I am just excited to use this amazing machine for blending, chopping nuts, pureeing, and that now, includes making hummus in my own kitchen.

Going back to our main subject, making Hummus is one easy task (especially again with my amazing Braun processor:-). For this recipe I used, 125 g of (canned) chickpeas, 57 g of tahini, 2 tbs of lemon (you can add according to your taste), 2 tbs of olive oil, 3 pcs garlic, minced ( you can increase the garlic to your taste) and a dash of salt.

The steps are simple. First blend the chickpeas and the tahini until most of the chickpeas have been disintegrated. Add the garlic, the olive oil, and the lemon juice and some salt to taste. Blend all ingredients together until smooth and it forms a paste. You can add some of the liquid from the canned chickpeas if the paste gets too thick. Use your judgment in adding liquid; the right dip is not too viscous yet not too runny when you dip your favorite snack.

For a really healthy treat, I paired my fresh Hummus with vegetable sticks. I just found celery and carrots inside the fridge which is just ideal to attract my household to eat vegetables!

No comments: