Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spanish Sardine Pate

If you are my kind who is fond of having bread for breakfast then, this is one great spread that will start your morning right! The good news is, there is no rocket science to this pate, it is just a simple combination of ingredients that could very well be in your fridge today.

For this recipe, I used about 125g of my favorite Spanish sardines (in oil), 1/2 cup of cream cheese (softened), 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsps of butter, a dash of salt and pepper to taste.

Mash the sardines well (I used fork to do this). Set aside. Soften the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add the sardines, the butter, the lemon juice and blend. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste and mix very well until smooth. Use immediately with bread or crackers, otherwise you can also store this in the fridge using an airtight container. I suggest you check the expiry date of the cream cheese as a guide how long you can store.

In my Filipino taste, this is ideal with freshly baked pan de sal and coffee. In the comforts of Singapore, this is just perfect for me with wholegrain bread and coffee. This pate also goes well with crackers, a good appetizer for your guests.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was recently in Northern Portugal and was always greated by a sardine based spread with chunks of bread or crackers before almost every meal in the great local dives we searched out. Do you have any idea if this is similar to this recipe? I'm a pretty adventurous cook but I couldn't figure out what was in what we had other than sardines...